States HIPAA & Privacy News
- Category: California Privacy Laws News California Privacy Laws News
- Created: 02 October 2014 02 October 2014
California Becomes First State to Require Credit Monitoring Services Following a Data Breach
AB 1710, signed by Governor Jerry Brown on September 30, 2014,
- Companies experiencing data breaches are to include information in the required notification that if identity theft prevention services are being offered, they must be offered for at least a 12 month period at no cost.
- Expands information safeguard requirements.
- Further prohibits uses and disclosures which include Social Security numbers.
Source: The National Law Review
Effective date: January 1, 2015