States HIPAA & Privacy News
- Category: Washington Privacy Laws News Washington Privacy Laws News
- Created: 04 March 2015 04 March 2015
Washington Attorney General Ferguson proposed the law passed the state House of Representatives unanimously. Highlights of the bill include:
- Eliminates the blanket exemption for encrypted data;
- Requires consumer notification as immediately as possible and no later than 45 days whenever personal information is likely compromised;
- Requires that the AG be notified within 45 days when a data breach occurs at a business, non-profit or public agency, enabling the AG to compile centralized information about data breaches for law enforcement and consumers; and
- Requires businesses, non-profits and agencies, when reporting a breach, to provide consumers with basic information they can use to help secure or recover their identities.